top of page
DO IT YOURSELF HOME CARE
Though created as a patient treatment guide for dentists, all oral health educators can benefit from these clear, illustrated instructions;
especially parents, care-givers, health workers.
SIMPLIFIED VIDEO FOR PARENTS
* Avoid sugary foods & equally bad cracker type foods
* Brush with fluoride toothpaste
* Preferably high fluoride prescription toothpaste
* Povidone-Iodine quarterly home application
* Include arginine rich foods & toothpaste
October 5, 2022
HOME PREVENTION & TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS
1. Brush teeth.
2. Dispense 8 drops of 10% povidone-iodine in any bottle cap
3. Saturate end of a Q-Tip swab ( do not re-dip after applying to avoid excess use)
4. Swallow, then dry teeth with facial tissue
5. Roll and push swab releasing more iodine on biting surfaces, especially where they touch each other, also exposed root surfaces
6. Continue across all teeth wiping all surfaces
7. Keep mouth open for 10 seconds
8. Do not rinse, Go to bed
Application Frequency (Prevention): Repeat once every 2 or 3 months
Application Frequency (Treatment) *: Once a week for one month, then every other week.
1. Stains teeth. No! However, it can stain cloth.
2. Shellfish allergy = iodine allergy. No! There is no cross-reactivity between them.
3. Bad tasting. No! A little bit of iodine does not taste bad.
Jeremy Horst DDS, PhD sites.google.com/site/jeremyahorst/iodine-for-caries-management Aug. 2021
* Text Message from Dr. Horst; Nov 4, 2022
bottom of page